How you take care of your teeth determines how healthy and beautiful your smile is. If you want to protect your teeth and maintain a Hollywood-worthy smile, it’s important to follow the guidance of your dentist. Proper dental care is critical for your teeth’s health, for your body’s health, and even for your social status. Hollywood stars typically have the straightest, whitest, and most beautiful teeth you’ve ever seen, and there are two reasons for that. First, they take care of their teeth. Second, when they need extra help, they know to take advantage of cosmetic dentistry. Whether you’re on the red carpet in Hollywood or just going about with your personal life, here’s how to make your pearly whites shine so that you can always have that beautiful smile.
Here’s a list of DOs and DON’Ts to keep your teeth healthy:
- DO brush at least twice daily. Spend at least two minutes twice a day brushing for the best tooth cleanliness. Brushing is especially important after eating sugary foods because the sugar sits on your teeth and eats away at the enamel which results in cavities.
- DO floss once a day. Twice a day is even better. Brushing your teeth is not enough because food particles can remain stuck between the teeth. You may choose to floss right after brushing or right before, but definitely make sure you are doing it.
- DO visit the dentist regularly. Regular teeth cleanings and checkups are essential to maintaining proper dental health.
- DON’T brush too hard. Using abrasive toothbrushes or brushing too hard can scratch the enamel on your teeth, which can wear it down over time. Brushing too hard also damages gums, and weak gums lead to weaker teeth and a weaker smile.
- DON’T put objects like pens or pencils in your mouth. Not only is it a bad habit, but it’s also hard on your teeth and can damage them.
- DON’T chew ice or bite your nails. A chipped tooth is usually caused by chewing ice and nails which are both hard, and this damages the teeth.
- DON’T drink coffee, tea, or soda. It can be difficult to avoid taking these beverages, but these definitely hurt your teeth! They usually wear down the enamel and discolor the teeth. If you choose to drink one of these teeth-staining drinks, drink it through a straw to minimize your teeth’s exposure.
- DON’T use your teeth as a tool. Using your teeth to open packages, holding items with your teeth, or ripping anything with your teeth can cause severe damage and can ruin your smile.
- DON’T clench your jaw or grind your teeth. Forcing your teeth to scrape against each other like that is really bad for them. Doing this enough will eventually cause your teeth to chip and crack. A mouthguard is usually custom-made to help protect your teeth from grinding at night.
If you’re doing everything you can to protect your teeth and you still need extra correction, you may wish to consider cosmetic dentistry. Invisalign can straighten your teeth the modern way and porcelain veneers can protect and cover damaged teeth.
Call Artista Dental Studios today at (347) 318-5238 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your consultation with Dr. Manfredi.