If you’ve ever been to the dentist, you know that daily cleaning as well as flossing are very important for oral wellness. Since flossing with braces can be harder and more time consuming than flossing without dental braces, it’s easy to neglect it. You need to continue to floss day-to-day throughout your orthodontic treatment if you wish to make sure that your teeth are healthy, gorgeous, strong, and also straight when you are done with your orthodontic therapy. Knowing how to floss with dental braces will help you tackle it head on and stay on track with your dental hygiene.
Select Your Floss
There are many different types of dental floss. It is best to use a thin, wax-coated floss when you have braces. Unwaxed floss often tends to be a lot more thread-like and is more likely to get stuck and shred in your braces. You may additionally want to buy a floss threader, which is a tiny dental device that will make it simpler to string the floss around your cords.
Steps to flossing with braces
- Rinse your mouth to loosen any food particles.
- Brush your teeth for at least two full minutes, carefully cleaning all around each bracket.
- Start with the parts of your teeth that can be accessed easily. Place a string of floss between each tooth and use a sawing motion to remove any particles that may be present.
- To floss the base of each tooth near the gums, thread the strings of floss under the main wire. A floss threader can help you do this more easily.
- Pull the floss in between the two teeth to the base of the gum line.
- Hug the floss to the side of one tooth and gently move it up and down. The hug the side of the adjacent tooth and do the same.
- Steps 4 and 6 are to be repeated on the next set of teeth. There might be a large space between some teeth while others may be a little snug.
- Floss outside your last set of molars as well. Just hug the floss around the tooth in an up and down motion.
Consider an electric toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes offer much more power as well as being scientifically shown to be dramatically much more efficient than manual toothbrushes at getting rid of plaque and also improving gum tissue health. An electric toothbrush can assist in getting between the braces as well as cables to get rid of microorganisms before they end up causing a problem.
Choose Invisalign instead of braces
If you have not begun your teeth straightening treatment, take into consideration choosing Invisalign® rather than traditional metal braces. Many individuals looking for teeth correction will qualify for Invisalign®. Invisalign® can align your teeth with a far better look, improved comfort, no dietary restrictions, an extra adaptable schedule, and also greater ease in keeping oral health and wellness. Your Invisalign® trays can be taken out for regular flossing and cleaning so there is no interruption in your normal dental maintenance throughout your treatment.
If you are looking to straighten your teeth or various other cosmetic dental treatments, request your consultation with Dr. Manfredi. He will help you accomplish the smile of your dreams with a tailored therapy plan created specifically for you. To arrange your visit with Dr. Manfredi, call (212) 995-8930.