Enamel is the outer part of the tooth and it’s responsible for our white teeth and bright smiles. It should, therefore, be protected at all times. Damage to the enamel increases the chance of tooth decay. There are different ways of protecting your teeth’s enamel. The food you eat can protect your enamel but can also harm it. The following are some of the essential foods that you should eat to help protect your teeth and ones to avoid that will cause damage to your teeth.
Foods that are healthy for your teeth:
• Milk – contains calcium rich minerals which are not only responsible for strong bones but also the strength of our teeth. Regular intake of milk is a healthy way of protecting your teeth from any decay.
• Nuts – a natural way of cleaning teeth through the production of saliva. Eating nuts help in the stimulation and release of more saliva in addition to providing essential minerals required for healthy teeth. Nuts also have phosphorus that is essential for strong teeth.
• Onions – antibacterial combinations that are present in onions and are effective in preventing any decay.
• Fish – one of the most common sources of phosphorus. In order for calcium to effectively strengthen the teeth, it requires phosphorus mineral. The combination of calcium and phosphorus makes the enamel stronger.
Food that are dangerous for your teeth:
• Dried Fruits – there is a lot of sugar that is contained in dried fruits and when the mouth becomes sugary, there is a higher likelihood of bacteria forming. Bacteria formation is always the beginning of tooth decay.
• Vinegar – the acidic in nature of vinegar is usually responsible for the whitening of teeth but continuous use will eventually destroy the enamel since the acid will be highly concentrated.
• Berries – berries are acidic in nature and in addition to that, they have a dark color which may leave dark spots on your teeth. There are some vitamins found in berries and so you don’t need to completely avoid them. Just ensure that you rinse your mouth after eating them.
• Saltine crackers – rich in starch and can cause tooth decay when they stick between the teeth. You should always clean your mouth after eating them to prevent bacteria forming in your mouth.
Artista Dental Studio is experienced in treating different dental issues. Dr. Joseph Manfredi uses the best technology in helping his clients achieve a bright smile. Call Artista Dental Studio today and receive all cosmetic solutions you need.